Who is a Product Manager?
Product Manager is like the CEO of a company except without the direct reports and the 7 figure salary. As a Product Manager you will be ultimately responsible for the success of your product, that means juggling of varieties of activities like design, development and strategy.
First is to give you an thorough grounding on product management theory. So we will start with picking a product and it could even be a product idea and then we will walk through the theory behind building a product vision and developing a compelling strategy to help you realize the vision and we will examine the concept of dual track development which means putting ideas into idea backlog, performing discovery activities, early to discover and discard bad ideas And we will see how good ideas makes into the backlog and we will see the process of designing good products with gold directed design and rapid prototyping. And also working with developers. Also agile practices and scrum. And also instrument your product, so you can measure which really matter.
Strategy → Discovery → Design → Dev → Measure
What does a Product Manager do?
Product Manager owns the what and why decisions of the product, while designing and engineering of the how. The PM has to make wide range of decisions.
What → Features, Pricing, Competitor
Why → Target + Market, Partner, Tracking Success
Types of Product Managers :
- Business PM (eg: Ken Norton) : MBA, Sales, Marketing, Problem Solvers,
Companies: Amazon, Microsoft,
Strength: Sees Big Picture
Weakness: Not Tech Savvy
2. Tech PM (eg: Elon Musk) : SREM education, Ex-Engineering,
Companies: Google, Atlassian
Strength: Tech Savvy
Weakness: Engineering Manager
3. Data PM (eg: Sebastian Thrun) : New Role, Data=Product, Analyst, Data Scientist
Companies: Google, Netflix
Weakness: Big Picture
4. Design PM (eg: Steve Jobs) : Knows Customer, UX Expert, Designer
Companies: Instagram, Facebook
Strength: Customer Focused
Weakness: Not Multitasker
5. Growth PM (eg: Chamath Palihapitiya) : New Role, Owns Metric not Product, Product-led Growth
Strength: Highly Focused
Weakness: Big Picture
6. AI PM (eg: Anthony Goldbloom) : New Role, AI & ML opportunities , Data Scientist, Engineering
Companies: Google, Facebook
Weakness: High failure rate